2.5.06

12 year old dead, airgun blamed

BBC News carries the story of a child shot and killed by a friend who had an ND with his father's air rifle:

A 14-year-old boy killed his 12-year-old friend when he accidentally shot him in the head with an air rifle, a court has heard.

The boy was showing off his father's new gun in his bedroom when it went off, firing a pellet through Alex Cole's eye and into his brain."

Now, I have nothing but sympathy for the boy's family, and, yes, this was a terrible tradgedy and an avoidable death.

So why do I get the uneasy feeling that this may be the rallying point for those who want to add airguns to the list of things we Brits can't own because we're too dumb to be trusted?

Why do I hear the sound of a bandwagon going past and the hush caused by thousands just waiting to jump right on?

Maybe I've been corrupted, living in the US, but when I see this kind of story, I don't see a dangerous weapon that needs to be banned.

What I see is a full-grown adult who needs a serious, hard, and repeated cock-punching because he's dumb enough to leave a dangerous weapon around loaded.

What I see is the usual bleeding-heart suspects gleefully leaping on this poor boy's coffin in order to get their latest piece of "I know best what's good for you" legislation passed.

I hope I'm wrong, but I know I'm not.

No comments: