31.5.06

Geroge Bernard Shaw

Further reading of the Giga Quotes site reveals the pages dedicated to one of history's most quotable men, George Bernard Shaw.

Among his famous quotes - such as "A family is a tyranny ruled over by its weakest member" and "Great Britain and the United States are nations separated by a common language" - lie a few worthy gemstones I hadn't heard before:

"Christianity might be a good thing if anyone ever tried it"

"Democracy is a device that insures we shall be governed no better than we deserve"

"Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of a splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations"


And my favourite:

"How can what an Englishman believes be heresy? It is a contradiction in terms"

No comments: