18.10.06

The World Accoring To Fundy

thecdn over at AP brought a series of blog posts to our attention recently.

The first is Morality Clauses, EC, and broken condoms over at Den Of The Biting Beaver. It is a very disturbing portrait of one woman's attempt to find a place that would dispense emergency contraception (EC) in George W. Bush's America.

Folks, the condom broke Friday night and I searched all weekend for someone who could prescribe me EC. It is now Monday and I have to report that I have been unable to find anyone who will write me a fucking prescription for EC. None of the hospitals in the surrounding counties would write it for me. I stopped my search at about 100 miles from my home because my telephone book wouldn't take me out any further than that.

I have been asked about my sexual practices. Whether I'm 'monogamous' or 'in a relationship' if I'm married, if I have kids, how many kids I have, if I was raped or 'traumatized' but there wasn’t' ONE question about my health. Not one. The few places that said that they had a doctor who would occasionally write prescriptions for EC told me that I had to ask for that doctor specifically and then they proceeded to tell me that I would be 'interviewed' to see if I meet that doctors 'criteria' and then they proceeded to ask me all the above questions before telling me that I should 'try anyway' and I 'might be able to talk him into it'.

The second post is a follow-up to the original, called The hiatus will start after this post *smile* and is an accounting of what happened with her search and, more importantly, how she has been treated.

Some of the emails she's received are truly horrific.

But hey, God is love and all that jazz.

No comments: